SUBJECT: Office Capacity and Client Services
To investigate causes of employee and client complaints at Phoenix Advertising’s Roanoke branch.
Identity of Facility
Branch #2, Phoenix A
dvertising, Roanoke, Virginia
Description of Investigation
On visiting the site over a period of 5 workdays, I observed employee performance, client services, management operation as well as conduct employee interviews and client, employee surveys. Upon arrival at the Roanoke branch observation was immediate and I took note of favorable business dealings and those, which needed correction. Analysis of client surveys completed prior to and during my visit along with employees interviews have helped in my determination of root cause for the chaos at the Roanoke branch.
The 30-minute interview process was with all employees individually whether they had lodged a complaint or not. I needed to hear every ones outlook on the standing of the Roanoke branch to
gain complete insight, draw conclusions and make a plan of action. Along with the client surveys which were very informative and significant in my recommendations on adjusting operations procedure from this point forward.
My investigation identified the following problems:
1. Compensation is not being given as dictated by salaried employee contracts. Personal time off days aren’t getting approved under standard protocol by branch managers. Employees unqualified for pto days have not received meal compensation for longer hours worked. Lack of enthusiasm because compensation is null led to lower morale and less productivity.
2. Art directors have not been effectively communicating with the graphic designers; this has resulted in prolonged completion of projects.
3. Art directors are modifying the graphic designers work without discussion; this has upset our clients because they aren’t receiving the finished product in a timely fashion. Also employee morale is affected because collaborative efforts aren’t being made.
4. Management has not received traditional procedure and customer satisfaction training; this created unhappy clientele and dropped our customer satisfaction rating.
5. Account managers took new accounts without considering the current workload: this accrued more work than the employees were able to handle.
In brief branch #2 of Phoenix Advertising has fallen below the level of production and client satisfaction that is expected. The high moral and positive attitude that once prevailed has fallen and has constituted this circumstance due to lack of compensation, communication, training and work overload. The Roanoke branch was the leading advertising company in the area because of branch #2; we now trail behind our competitors both in production and customer service.
1. Approach with employee compensation must be controlled: Salary employees must be given pto days as stated in their contract. Salary employees, who haven’t qualified for pto days, will be granted meal allowance. Employees should regain some assurance once this is rectified.
2. Art directors are required to meet daily with graphic designers to discuss current project changes, updates and final outcome. This will reduce extended work hours and increase client satisfaction for product delivery.
3. Art directors will not modify work without consulting graphic designers and clients. Product achievement is a team effort and input on a whole should help employee attitude improve.
4. Management is required to attend traditional procedure and customer service training immediately. The insurance that staff is being supervised appropriately as well as customer satisfaction returning to accustomed levels alleviates major concerns.
5. Account managers must consult with the art directors, graphic artists and previous clients before taking on any more new accounts. Also attending the training courses given by Phoenix Advertising and learning to conduct assistance better.
6. Reassess the situation in six months. If productivity hasn’t increased, employee problems haven’t decreased, and customer service doesn’t rise hiring another art director and account executive will be essential. Also customer satisfaction training will be mandatory for all staff a second time.